A dreamer who sews has to have notions. And I don’t mean the ones that reside in our heads.
I like to think of notions as any sewing supply that varies from project to project.
NOTE: This article contains affiliate links. Please read my full disclosure HERE.
Here is a short list of the possible notions you might need, depending on your project:
- Bias binding
- Hem tape
- Hooks & Eyes
- Interfacing (Pellon 865 Bi-Stretch Lite is delicious!)
- Ribbons: love, love organza ribbons
- Shoulder pads (yep, still around, even though the 80’s is so long gone!)
- Stay tape
- Thread: white, black, gray or slate and beige or eggshell
- Twill tape
- Trim: I’m crazy partial to fringe and pom-poms!
And much more…
When you begin any project, make sure you make a list of the notions that will be required and check it twice.
It is beyond annoying to near the end of the project and realize…
Oops, I don’t have any bias tape or the right zipper or whatever. Ask me how I know this?!
Like I said, this is just a short list.
While these items don’t make up the core of your sewing arsenal, they are still necessary for finishing a dress and yielding a professional result.
Therefore, they must be factored into the budget from the start.
Life is the ultimate red carpet event. Dress for it!