If you are to sew insanely pretty clothing, you’re going to need to acquire some skills.
Quite a few in fact.
But not to worry…
I’ve got you covered.
I will teach you all I know. Because to share is to care. And I really care about you falling truly, madly, deeply in love with the craft of sewing as much as I have.
So here we go…
How to Learn Basic Skills
There are two ways to learn a sewing skill:
- You can choose a project that includes the skill you want to learn; or
- You can practice the skills individually and independent of a project
Here’s a list of core skills you need in order to bring to life insanely pretty garments…
NOTE: If you’re ready to begin this journey and would like to buy my recommended tools and supplies, please click HERE!
Basic Garment Construction Skills
- How to Sew a Straight Stitching Line
- How to Sew (Pivot) Outside Corners
- How to Sew Concave and Convex Curves
- How to Sew a Plain Seam
- How to Backstitch & More
- How to Sew a Basting Seam
- How to Sew a Zigzag Stitch
- How to Finish Edges/Seam Allowances
- How to Use a Seam Ripper
- How to Press for Professional Results
- How to Staystitch Curves
- How to Topstitch & Edgestitch Beautifully!
- How to Sew & Press Darts
- How to Grade, Trim, Clip, Notch
- What Are Facings?
- How to Understitch
- How to Make Bias Tape
- How to Apply Bias Tape
- How to Hem a Garment
- How to Gather Like a Pro
- How to Apply Interfacing
- How to Tie a Knot when Hand Sewing
- How to Sew a Pocket (Coming So Soon!)
- How to Insert a Zipper (Coming So Soon!)
- How to Insert a Sleeve (Coming So Soon!)
One of the truly fantastic things about sewing is that there is always something to learn.
But once you’ve become the mistress of the above, you will be in possession of the least you need to know to sew insanely pretty clothes that you can’t wait to flaunt.
Finally, I would offer you this bonus tip:
Take your time and practice each new skill at least three times. This is what I do to make sure that a skill knows who’s the boss!
Life is the ultimate red carpet event. Dress for it!
RELATED: Click HERE to learn about the various, sublimely feminine dress silhouettes!
RELATED: Click HERE if you’re ready to unleash your dressmaking super powers and learn how to sew a simple dress! Warning: This is a MEGA 5-part series!